Monday, November 26, 2007

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Today I got a hand on the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I'll have it for a couple of days for testing purposes and then I'll return it to its rightful owner. So I decided to go for a short walk and take some pictures of the beautiful scenery nearby. And here are two examples:


EXIF:
- Camera: Canon EOS 400D
- Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
- Aperture: f/11
- Focal length: 50mm
- ISO: 100
- Flash: Not fired
- Post-processing software: Adobe Photoshop CS2
- Date taken: 26.11.2007



EXIF:
- Camera: Canon EOS 400D
- Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
- Aperture: f/11
- Focal length: 50mm
- ISO: 100
- Flash: Not fired
- Post-processing software: Adobe Photoshop CS2
- Date taken: 26.11.2007


I did some post-processing on these two pictures. Usual things like contrast adjustments and stuff. But overall this lens is not bad at all. One thing's for sure. The captured colors and sharpness are better than with my two lenses. Man, I gotta get myself a new lens.

It's a low cost lens and therefore the quality of the lens can't be compared to the high-end Canon lenses. The body is plastic and it's actually one of the lightest Canon lenses out there. But you get a decent lens for this kind of money, considering it has an aperture of f/1.8 and it enables you to take pictures in poor light conditions. Also sharpness is exceptionaly good for it's price (especially at f/2.8 and beyond). Maybe I'll even get one myself.

2 comments: